Primary | Environment | Views: 287
Help Class 6 to find out how dandelions spread their seeds and how they might help dandelions to come back to their school.
Health and Safety: Do not pick wildflowers and always wash your hands after touching things outside.
You will Need:
- some dandelions - you can find these in your garden or on a walk.
- a magnifying glass, or zoomed in camera on a phone or iPad.
What to Do:
1. Look closely at dandelions:
- Where are the seeds?
- What are they attached to?
- People sometimes call them parachutes. Why do you think that is?
- How far do you think the seeds from one flower can spread?
- How will you find out?
2. Explore and find if there are any dandelions growing nearby.
- Do they grow everywhere?
- How do seeds help them to spread?
- How do the seeds travel from one place to another?
- How far do they go?
- How will you record where they travel?
- You could try blowing at a dandelion head or holding it in the wind.
- You could share photographs of dandelion investigations.
- Can you make a big model of a dandelion seed?
- Write a letter to Class 6 explaining how dandelions might come back.
We would love to see your photographs, models or letters about dandelions! Send us an email to email@example.com or tag us on Twitter @STEMHUB_SE
Click on the link below to access this activity resource…plus many more!