Make a pitfall trap
Primary | Environment | Views: 190
You will Need:
- an empty clean yogurt pot
- an old spoon or a trowel
- an empty clean margarine or ice cream tub
What to do:
- Find somewhere out of the way and dig a small hole with your spoon or trowel.
- Put the cup into the hole and make sure the sides are filled in.
- Leave for a few hours.
- Return and empty the contents of the pot into your tub.
- Identify the animals that have fallen into the trap - draw them!
- Place the animals back somewhere safe after you have counted and identified them.
- Take home all your equipment (pots and tubs, spoon and paper)
- DO Not leave the pot unattended for a long time as the small animals could die.
We would love to see what you find. Send a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org to hear from an expert STEM Ambassador about what your creatures are, or tag us on Twitter @KentMedwaySTEM
Health and Safety: select a safe place and wash hands after the activity