Primary | Health | Views: 695
You will Need:
- Plastic drinks bottle
What to Do:
- Cut the bottom third off plastic bottle – be careful when doing this and ask for adult help.
- At the bendy part of the straw, create a small hole where you will insert another piece of straw to create to ‘pipes’. Place some glue of tape over the joining.
- Put a balloon at the end of each small piece of straw. Tape them in place to ensure that no air can escape.
- Pierce a hole in the centre of the bottle cap – again ask for adult help with this as it will need to be done with something sharp.
- Place the straw lungs through the bottom of the bottle, allowing the single straw to emerge through the top of the bottle.
- Push the straw through the hole in the bottle cap and screw this on. Use some glue or tape to seal the hole in the bottle cap, making sure all the air is contained within the lung model.
- Blow up a balloon and pop it! This will allow the balloon to be more stretched, plus the tied end will seal the bottom of the balloon.
- Cut the top part of the balloon off and stretch the balloon over the bottom of the bottle. This represent the diaphragm.
- Your model lungs are ready to use! Pull the bottom balloon downwards and watch the ‘lungs’ inflate and deflate – just like what happens when we inhale and exhale!