Create your own model of the Moon in a Box
Primary | Space | Views: 1464
You will Need:
- A cardboard box, like a shoebox
- Black Paint
- Ping-Pong/Polystyrene ball
- Short length of dowel or a wooden skewer
What to Do:
- To create darkness, paint the inside of the box black.
- Carefully create a hole in the lid of the box using scissors.
- Create a hole in the ball using the dowel, or carefully with scissors. Place the ball on the end of the dowel, and push the other end under and through the box lid. If needed, use Blu tac or Sellotape to hold it in place.
- Create 4 peep holes, as shown in the diagram. One at either end of the short end, and three along the long end. At one short end, create a rectangular-shaped hole to shine the torch through.
- Now it’s time to see the moon phases! Shine the torch and look through each peep hole, drawing what you see in turn. Move anti-clockwise to see the moon phases.
Did You Know that the moon does not shine, but reflects light from the sun?
Now that you have made your diagram with the phases of the moon, answer the following:
What is a full moon?
What is a new moon?
How long does it take for the moon to orbit the Earth?
Why is it more difficult to see the moon during the day?