Make your own Lava Lamp
Primary | Materials | Views: 431
You will Need:
- Glasses or Jars
- Food Colouring
- Cooking Oil
- Antacid tablets or powder
What to Do:
- Fill your glass with two thirds oil and one third water.
- Observe what happens to the oil and water in your glass as you add them.
- Add drops of food colouring to your oil and water and watch what happens.
- Place the antacid in the glass and the lava lamp effect will begin!
How does it work?
The water and oil do not mix because they have different densities. The same is the case for the food colouring.
A chemical reaction happens between the water and antacid that causes it to fizz and create carbon dioxide bubbles.