Lab in a Box is a scheme funded by Pfizer Ltd. that brings science equipment into the classroom that for many school is not possible due to absolute cost or simply not being cost effective against the background of increasing pressure on teaching budgets. No charge is made for the loan of the Liαβ over a two week period, but consumables must be purchased by the school using the equipment. The Liαβs currently available are
- PCR (polymerase chain reaction) with gel electrophoresis to amplify DNA and analyse the resultant samples.
- Infrared Spectroscopy for chemical analysis. Using modern sampling technology, sample analysis is simple and fast.
- Thermal cameras: applications in both science and technology. Four cameras are in this box to maximise student hands on time.
- Electronics kits for primary schools. Each kit contains batteries, switches, bulbs, motors etc. to teach the basics of circuits in a very practical way.
- Space Lab in a box: Access telemetry data and more from the FunCube educational satellite using radio waves.
Regular CPD Twilights on all of the above boxes are arranged to train teachers and technicians on the kit. Only schools who have attended the training will be able to loan these.